ShareFile is an all-in-one, streamlined and secure file transfer software suite that is capable of covering the needs of businesses of all sizes and from all industries. It is an SaaS product that allows users to choose where to securely store documents and files, either on premises or in the cloud. It won the “2016 Best File Sharing Software Award” as well as the “Supreme Software Award for 2016” with Finances Online, and it is one of the most highly rated file sharing services online.
DiliTrust Data Room
Secure, simplify, share
Appointment Scheduling Software
Your career, in the hands of your enterprise social network
Let’s briefly outline the pros and cons of DropBox before launching into more detail about ShareFile:
What we like about DropBox:
- It’s a free software in its original edition
- It’s devoted predominantly to individuals wishing to exchange data for free
- It’s one of world’s leading and most reputed sharing & storage systems
- It is very ergonomic and easy to use
- You can sync your files online and across the devices you use automatically
- It’s compatible with windows, mac, linux, android, iOS and Windows Phone
- It can integrate with over 100,000 third-party apps
- It doesn’t restrict the number of files you share or the number of people you share them with
What we don’t like about DropBox:
- Data is hosted in the United States, which means it is subject to the Patriot Act which gives the US government access to your confidential data for the purpose of combatting terrorism.
- While there is a business package and one for pro users available, companies are encouraged to consider Dropbox Business for more storage and sharing opportunities
- Data is not sufficiently secured (files can be shared too easily, there is no expiration date for files, SSL/TLS security is not enough)
- There is no traceability nor ability to conduct checks if the users use personal accounts
- Customer support is limited to a ticketing system
So, what should you do if you’re a company? Use a solution like ShareFile which is secured from start to finish
Here’s what we like:
- ShareFile users have the option to store data as they please; in their own data centres, Citrix-managed data centres, or use existing file storage systems via StorageZone Connectors.
- ShareFile uses 256-bit AES encryption. Data is encrypted even during the editing phase.
- The admin panel allows you to manage the rights and the accounts of staff members. If an employee leaves the company, it’s possible to recuperate and transfer the files on to another staff member.
- IT managers can manage corporate content on ShareFile using remote wipe, encryption, passcode lock and poison pill features.
- Companies are able to restrict third-party editing tools that employees might try to install on their devices
- ShareFile allows you to minimise the risk of document loss or theft from the company and audit content accessed from a device that has been lost or stolen
- The software is compatible with the management of legal documents
- You can add an expiration date to files to avoid forgetting about existing documents
- ShareFile boasts a simple yet intuitive interface: operations are categorized in six basic menus in the header section (Manage Users, Share, Request, Admin, Settings, and Apps). There is a convenient navigation bar and a sitemap showing the patterns for all relevant operations, including the upload and transfer of files, adding users and controlling permissions.
- ShareFile stores files in a well-organized and searchable database, from where you can download them in the desired format, or resend them.
- You can track files even after they arrive at the recipient’s address, and confirm whether or not they have been opened. This feature is particularly useful for settling disputes over delayed payment notifications.
- Customer support comes in multiple forms, including phone, ticketing, training and live support
Here’s what we don’t like:
- No free version available (just a free trial)
- Only 20GB of monthly bandwidth
Priced to meet your needs:
- ShareFile plans start at 16 dollars per month for 1 employee, the “Personal” plan which is perfect for getting your small business started.
- For 60 dollars a month you get the “Team” plan for 5 employees with full file-sharing functionality and storage for your growing business (8 dollars extra for each additional employee).
- The most popular option, the “Business” plan for 5 employees is priced at 100 dollars, and contains even more features than the first two for highly collaborative teams (10 dollars extra for each additional employee).
- Finally, we have the “Virtual Data Room” plan at 295 dollars a month which features advanced security, sharing and control for sensitive data.
- There is a free, no strings attached trial available
So, in summation, while DropBox is a very widely-used file storage solution, it is no match for ShareFile when it comes to security and confidentiality. The multitude of file-storage options which ShareFile offers, the thorough customer support, the file tracking features and the file expiry features all make ShareFile much more suitable for businesses that can afford to pay towards keeping their data highly secured. While the free version of DropBox might seem appealing, 60 dollars a month for the ShareFile Team plan is a small price to pay for protecting your data. While the monthly bandwidth is limited, with the email plugin, you can attach files as large as 10GB to emails. You can also create share links - a URL that you can send to a recipient, which allows them to download the file from a web browser. You can customize the share link URLs and your online portal